Tuesday 19 January 2010

If I can draw anyone can draw :-)

OK, a bit of background for those who don't know my art skills. Before this course my art skills were non existent.. I REALLY couldn't draw to save my life, ask Lisa who used to "help" me at school with any drawing and who used to find my stick men very amusing. So when Graham suggested we do an art class as a family I wasn't too enthusiastic as I didnt want to make a fool of myself. However, I knew how much it meant to Graham so I agreed. I just thought, Nothing ventured, nothing gained! and was quite interested to see if the class would really work. I thought if they can teach ME to draw then really anyone can.

The challenge was set, would we be able to draw after 2 days?? (9 hours to be exact), well the answer is YES!!

The first day was spent doing some drawing exercises, learning how we use our brain when we draw and proving that often, we draw what we "think" we see and not what we actually see. After a few hours we started drawing our own portrait and were all very surprised and VERY happy with the results, especially Gian who has been showing everyone his pictures and has been drawing lots more. Great!!

The course we did was based on the book Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Drawing-Right-Side-Brain/dp/0007116454/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263859886&sr=8-1

We went to the RBR school in Tokyo but this course is held all over the world. http://www.rbrart.com/workshop.html

We had a fantastic teacher Andy who was fun, interesting and most importantly patient! He obviously loves what he does and it shows, the kids just loved him and although Gian was a little shy to start with by the end he was chatting away to Andy and asking for help etc.

This was our first course (I have put more photos in my gallery http://picasaweb.google.com/lindseycunningham5/RBRArtClass#) but I am pretty sure it wont be our last.

4 comments:

  1. Lindsey, it was our GREAT pleasure of having you the whole family here. And you must be really proud of your great kids and husband! So much looking forward to seeing you and your family again.
    Joei

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joei, Thank you again, as you can see we had a lovely time. We will see you again very soon. Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I'm very impressed.
    It's so nice to read about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matilda! Hope you are all well.

    ReplyDelete